Mikals Laks AS was established on 5 April 2000. We are a family-owned smokehouse that produces high-quality smoked and cured salmon for food-conscious customers. The family has a long-standing tradition of working in the marine industry, fishing and fish processing. Traceability is emphasised at all stages from roe to table. We only use the highest quality raw materials, along with natural products such as juniper berries, beech chippings, sea salt and sugar, to create a gourmet product.
Our factory is located in Skiftun in the Hjelmeland municipality, and satisfies all the requirements for a modern fish processing plant. We are approved exporters. Approximately 10 per cent of our sales are exported, mainly to Germany, France, Switzerland and Austria. We deliver our products as whole sides or in small packets, and in fixed or variable weights according to the customer’s wishes and needs.
Opening hours all weekdays: 08:00–15:30.
THE STORY OF MIKALS LAKS AS (as told by the owner, Mikal O. Viga)
The sea has been the lifeblood of the Viga family. My father, grandfather, great-grandfather and great-great-grandfather have all lived by the sea and were part of a long family tradition of smoking fish. I was two-and-a-half the first time I joined a sprat fishing trip on the Jøsenfjord, and fish became an important part of my upbringing. My family began breeding trout and salmon in the Norwegian municipality of Hjelmeland in the 1980s.
When I started working for my family’s fish farming company, Kroken Fisk As, I received my wages in salmon. The salmon was smoked in a smokehouse I had built myself. We refined the fish using old recipes and traditional craftsmanship, and packed them in the cellar. Our customers were neighbours and a few tourists. One customer who bought smoked salmon worked at a Swiss branch of what was then the Hafslund Nycomed company. The salmon must have been a big hit because one day towards the end of the 1990s, the company director rang from Switzerland and ordered 300 kg of smoked salmon. Without an export licence, the first year went really well and the orders doubled for the year after. But when the order increased to over a 1,000 kg and the fish was stopped at the Swiss border, it dawned on us that this was no longer just a hobby. This marked the start of a serious commitment to developing our business further.
Mikals Laks AS was established on 5 April 2000, and is a family-owned smokehouse that produces high-quality smoked and cured salmon for food-conscious customers. The company’s modern processing facilities are located in Skiftun in Hjelmeland municipality. Aside from our main market in Norway, we export to many countries including Germany, Switzerland, Luxembourg, France and Austria, and we also make deliveries to Asia.
The process itself starts with the freshest and best raw, natural materials which are traceable at all stages, such as fresh juniper and beech chips, salt and plenty of time. Our family recipes are steeped in tradition and date back to the 1870s.
Our main products today are: juniper-smoked salmon, hot-smoked salmon, juniper-smoked trout, aquavit-marinated salmon and cognac-marinated salmon.
We have received a number of prizes and distinctions for the quality of our products:
- Winner – Det Norske Måltid 2019 – Absolute tradition
- 2019, Gold in the Norwegian Championship (NM) for Absolut Tradition
- 2019, Silver in the Norwegian Championship (NM) for cold-smoked wild salmon
- 2019, Bronze in the Norwegian Championship (NM) for hot-smoked salmon
- 2019, Bronze in the Norwegian Championship (NM) for cold-smoked trout
- 2019, Bronze in the Norwegian Championship (NM) in open class
- 2017, Gold in the Norwegian Championship (NM) for cold-smoked salmon
- 2017, Silver in the Norwegian Championship (NM) for hot-smoked salmon
- 2017, Silver in the Norwegian Championship’s open class for horseradish and dill smoked salmon
- 2015, Gold in the Norwegian Championship (NM) for hot-smoked salmon
- 2015, Silver in the Norwegian Championship (NM) for cold-smoked salmon
- 2013, Gold in the Norwegian Championship’s open class for cold-smoked peppered salmon
- 2013, Silver in the Norwegian Championship (NM) for hot-smoked salmon
- 2011, Gold in the Norwegian Championship (NM) in hot-smoked salmon
- 2010, Winner of the Rogaland County competition, “The Norwegian Meal” (DET NORSKE MÅLTID)
- 2009, Gold, Silver and Bronze in the Norwegian championship (NM) for smoked and cured salmon
- 2008, Winner of the Coop Food Prize (Matpris)
- 2006, Winner of The Happy Food (GLADMAT) prize
- The “Spesialitet” brand
There’s a long tradition of refining nature’s treasures in Hjelmeland. Our smoked salmon recipe has been in our family for many generations.
Together with the supermarket chain MENY, we have made a short film to give you a fascinating insight into how we create our gourmet products.